Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Confusing Analogies

With my first A+ certification test quickly approaching and absolutely no interest in the current class, I've decided to share with you my way of memorizing what some of these things are.

Proxy Server - Patron Saint. A proxy server sits between your computer and the internet, and forwards your requests for you, doing some of the leg work and organizing the communication. Similarly, a Patron Saint is an expert in the topic you're praying for, and acts as an intermediary between you and God, forwarding your requests and filtering out the nonsense. Yes, in this analogy, God is the internet. Try to keep up.

UPS - Uninteruptable Power Supply. This is essentially a battery backup for your computer so you can save your progress if the power goes out. How do you remember this? Simple: What can Brownout do for you?

POST - Power-On Self-Test. This is the first thing the computer does when it turns on - tests to make sure all the hardware is properly connected. That's the first "beep" you hear when you turn the computer on. So, how could something called "POST" be the FIRST thing the happened? Because computer techs do everything ass-backwards.

HAL.DLL - System file driver that provides the interface between the system hardware and the software. This probably won't actually be on the test, but it makes me laugh anyway.
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Fear your computer.

Ok, moving on.

I forgot to check my last post to see where I was when we left off, so I'll just kinda go for it. I hate my job. I've been yelled at for dancing and singing while I work because they think it makes me lose focus and slows me down. In reality? Dancing around and acting crazy at work makes me a better employee. If I were to really focus on what I do for a living, I'd start bringing an AK-47 to work and just light the place up. Honestly, I'd just get stressed out, and I REALLY lose focus when I realize how much I hate what I'm doing.

If I can just pause for a moment, I think my teacher just passed out weed-brownies. That... was weird.
Huh.

Uhh... Wow, I just completely lost focus(no, I didn't eat one). Oh, right, certification test. I'm not positive on how it'll go, but I decided to sign up for my test. I'm taknig it tomorrow, for better or worse. If I pass, swell. If I don't pass, at least I'll know what I'm dealing with.

I'm being hit up for homework... Though I'm pretty sure he'd give me full marks whether I turn it in or not, I should at least pretend to do something with the 15k I just blew on this place.
Aaaand he's teaching us L33T. I really have to go.

Ciao.
-Hich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home