Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ugh, you people and your demands!!

Man... here I am, all set to relax after a long day of classes, and wouldn't you know it? The internet has to be working. Now, you think I'd be happy about this. But working internet means respond to ALL the people who wanna hear about ALL my days... *sigh*. It is SO DIFFICULT being popular!! But, I endure. For you, the reader, I endure.

Virtue is, after all, its own reward.

So, here I am, back from Assisi/Florence/Siena. Leah, this post is about to look suspiciously like the e-mail I just sent you, but THIS will have pictures! Yes, this post will be all about...
SPRING TRIP 2007

7... 7.... 7....

That, uh... that was supposed to be an echo... I think the effect is lost in typing. ANYway.

So, we get to Assisi, right? That was fine, whatever, we did stuff. The GREAT part was the bar that was ten feet away. It was wonderful. Plus, the waitress kept pouring me shots of rum, for some reason. That's ok, though, it was good rum. Anyway, the seconde to the last night we were there, the Akers asked the bar owners to keep it open extra late, just for us. THAT was grand... everyone was there, being all chummy, even though a lot of us don't normally hang out.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Silly, silly girls, with thier alchohol.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oh, Rob and Kyle. Just oh.

After that, I realized that I didn't have much time to take pictures of Assisi proper, so the last evening I ran outside with my camera and took a few pics.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Alleys = cool

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The town of Assisi, if nothing else, is pretty F'in beautiful.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Hey, what's that castle doing up there?" "Oh well, fire cameras!!"

Then, after that, it was off to Florence! That was about a two hour bus ride. Some people don't like bus rides. I, however, thrive on them. Thus, I bugged people with my camera. A lot. I won't post a bunch from that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anna's coolness just flows out from her, drowning the rest of us.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Zach and John forced the bus driver to stop, just so they could pick flowers for the girls.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Florence was pretty, blah blah blah.

It didn't take us long to find a bar in Florence. Not long at all.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's right, God Bless the Drinkers.

Then we went to Siena. THAT place was sweet! I've posted too many pictures already, so I'll go through this fast. We had an AWESOME hotel with a pretty sweet bar in it. Yes, more bar-age. Then we went to the museums... they were depressing. Why? Because they were *supposed* to be churches. Instead, they were either churches that were full of tourists, or museums full of the church's belongings(Relics, chalices... it was absolutely disgusting). Like it or not, however, they did have some beautiful church belongings. So, we wandered for a while.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Imagine my surprise when we went to the museum where Han Solo is on display!

Outside, it was awesome too. The campo was cool - like a beach, but without sand or water.

*cough* Yeah.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have better shots of it than this, but I've made my choice.

So blah blah blah, yadda yadda it was time to leave. But, we had one detour to make...

Apperently, the original story of the Sword in the Stone came from Italy. St. Galgano was a crusader in his day, but one day he decided that he wanted to be a monk. So he promised his servitude to God through prayer, not battle, and went to break his sword upon a rock. However, when he struck at the rock, the sword entered! It has remained in that stone to this very day, and the legend goes that anyone who attempted to pull the sword from that stone would have his arms ripped off. In fact, they DID have a couple of arms dating back to that time period which were found by the sword... ripped off by wolves, or some such. Ouch. Anyway, here it is:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yeah, TRY it, Aurthur.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here's everyone, with a few exceptions, myself included.

On the bus ride back, we all got food. I got gummy-cokes!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ahh... that was refreshing.

So, there you have it. Sorry for the load of pictures, unless that's what you wanted, in which case, you're welcome! Ok, I'ma let Rob use the 'net for a bit. I owe it to him, after posting so many this-is-Rob-drinking pictures. It IS tradition, after all.

Miss you fools!! Peace out!

Ciao,
--Hich

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the gf:

I am f'n freezing right now!!!

Sorry...I forgot to mention that in my e-mail. Dude, love that striped shirt...when'd you get it? Ok, that's all. Mwah!

~Leah

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures even make me miss Europe, which I vowed I'd never do. Jerk.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Ibid said...

How did I miss the sword? That stinks. We definitely did not spend enough time in Siena (like less than 24 hours? Come on)

Anywho, great pics Hitch

10:55 AM  
Blogger Scarcely Human said...

GF-- I recommend sleep. Under about 5 quilts. For a solid month. Warms me right up!

Axl-- AH-HA HA HA HA HAA!!! Suckerrr. :)

Matt-- Ours was the first semester to make that particular stop. I KNEW there was a reason I selected spring...

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UPDATE ALREADY!!!
Love ya'! ;)
~GF

7:01 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Joe,

I just found your blog again for the first time.

Your pictures rock, and that story (and picture) of the original Sword in the Stone was freakin' outta sight!!! I've never heard that, and now I want to try and pull the sword from the stone ... 'cuz I'm crazy like that.

Anyway, I know how nice it is to get feedback on posts you make, so I promise that if you post more pictures and tell more awesome stories like the sword in the stone one, I will post more comments on your blog. Deal?

Miss ya tons!

--Mike

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home